Welcome to Words, Stories & Languages — Beatriz Becker’s literary blog 🙂
What do I offer you here that other litblogs don’t?
- Brazilian and Portuguese poetry and short stories translated into English (amongst which the ballad of a medieval Portuguese Mulan) — these are original translations that you find in no other literary blog
- original posts on the fascinating history of some familiar words (do you know where the word “very” comes from?)
- in-depth essays on different aspects of storytelling (you will for instance discover what’s wrong with Dan Brown’s Inferno)
- brilliant writing tips from classic books to help you improve your writing (like this explanation of the difference between a simile and a metaphor, and a heartrending example of effective repetitions)
- selected literary passages that will make you sigh — and swear to read and write more
- and lastly, if you read Portuguese, there are lots of legends and fables in rich, beautiful, excellent Portuguese — just the thing to take your knowledge of the language to a literary level
Make yourself at home, take your time, and enjoy. If you have a question, remark, or an idea for a new post, leave a comment on my latest post and tell me!